Sunday, April 6, 2008

Help! From the Network

My mother has been an Art teacher for 37 years. She is still teaching Sculpture and Ceramics in a High School setting. She approached me today with a few questions...

1. How can I get my students to listen when I give direction?

2. What type of 21st Century activities can I incorporate in my curriculum?

I relayed to her the importance of being involved in a Network on the internet. She is very interested in using tools such as blogs to refresh her teaching and engage the students. I came up with many ideas. I mentioned the importance of letting the students have a voice in her class. I mentioned that she should have a student ran classroom instead of her always teaching them how to do everything. She liked the idea, but seemed hesitant.

Now, I am asking my network...

Does anyone know of any good blogs or resources my mom could use to answer some of her questions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have her check out the Ning Artsnacks. It's pretty neat...especially for Art teachers. How wonderful it is that she's so interested....

Jenny said...

Here's an art teacher who blogs: http://tat.clairvoy.com/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=44
She's an elementary teacher, but she is fantastic. I know she's done some good stuff with technology. Plus, she knows her way around online resources for art teachers. If your mom left a comment for her I bet she'd be willing to start an email discussion.

A. Woody DeLauder said...

@Angela and @Jenny Thanks for your responses. I haven't had much time to be involved in blogging over the past month. I haven't had a day off yet. Working 2 jobs/14 hours a day/every day. Can't wait to get a breather.